Thursday, September 1, 2011

Day FIVE: Real Men Eat (Spinach) Quiche

It’s not a big deal for me to crack some eggs in the morning, but when I have to start adding other ingredients it puts me over the edge…I’ve finished my work out and am HUNGRY and want to eat! This is an easy do ahead that can be cut up in serving sizes and nuked on demand!
And before you jump on my case for eating the cottage cheese you gotta know that while this diet is “no-dairy” for some reason cottage cheese has been deemed as OK. If you know why, let me know…in the meanwhile it works quite well for this recipe.

 

Spinach Quiche
8 eggs, beaten
8 ounces frozen spinach
16 ounces cottage cheese
1 bunch green onion, finely chopped (white part only)
1/2 cup yellow onion, finely chopped
1 cup mushrooms, sliced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon macadamia oil
salt
freshly ground pepper

Directions
Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.  Lightly grease a 9-inch baking dish.
Sauté garlic in oil for 1 minute, then add yellow onion and mushrooms, and green onion.  Cook until tender.
Place spinach in a small saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally until soft. Drain off all remaining liquid from the spinach. Stir in eggs, cottage cheese, and sautéed onions and mushrooms.  Add salt and pepper, to taste. Pour mixture into prepared pan.
Bake uncovered in oven for 1 hour, or until eggs are set.

1 comment: