Thursday, September 8, 2011

Day TWELVE: Who Needs Pasta Anyway?

I've been handling the cooking and preparation of breakfast and lunch, but come dinner time I'm starving and have NO plan. Well, more accurately, my plan is to walk in the door and sit down to a great meal that my wife, Deanna, has prepared. She doesn't disappoint! Tonight was no exception. Wanting to accommodate my crazy diet, she developed a recipe for Shrimp Scampi with a pasta substitue.


The "Pasta"
bake 1 large spaghetti squash for 1 hour at 375 degrees
let it cool a bit then using a fork, shred the meat of the squash. It makes spaghetti looking noodles!
set aside, keep it warm

The Sauce
heat 1/4 cup olive oil in a large pan
add 2 cloves minced garlic, spices (fresh Basil, Oregeno, Parsley), salt, pepper
add 1/2 cup chopped yellow onion
add 1/2 cup chopped bell pepper
     when the above are tender, but not mushy:
add 2-3 dozen shrimp (cleaned, peeled, de-veined)
cook together about 3-5 minutes
Pour the sauce over the squash and dig in!

This will make about 6 medium servings. For the non-dieters amongst you, grated Ramano cheese is a nice way to add some more punch, but really, this is so flavorful I was left licking my plate clean!

No comments:

Post a Comment