Friday, April 27, 2012

Is it Possible?

Eight months ago I started out with the question: was it possible for a 50 year old man to obtain 12 percent body fat? Throughout that time I've questioned the validity of the question. It's dawning on me (you've figured this out long ago, I'm sure) that "of course it's possible, but is it probable?"

Meaning, is it probable given the fact that this particular 50 year old man likes food! In particular he likes the kinds of foods that have a direct opposite affect on achieving 12 percent body fat!


So last night when I was in the midst of my "non-cheating" week I was presented with an assortment of pastries. The company I was with was great, I was having a blast, and celebrating with food made much more sense to me than achieving a goal of 12 percent. Possible to stick to the goal? yes. Probable? not so much. I enjoyed the pastries immensely!

This morning as I reflect on my eating choice last night I'm feeling ambivalent. On the one hand I want the original fervor I had to accomplish the goal. On the other hand I want to be honest with who I am, my love to eat with friends, and evaluate my original goal.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm not throwing in the towel (this morning I had steak and green beans for breakfast). I'm just pausing to think about what I really want. I've seen the effect that a strict diet can have on my body. I've seen how consistent weight training will build muscle and burn fat. So I know it is possible. I'm just reflecting on the probability of it...but know you know what?..as I say that I'm feeling more determined to make it a HIGH Probability!


No comments:

Post a Comment